Wednesday, January 23, 2008

PLEASE PRAY FOR TYLER!!

I first learned about blogging through a blog for Max Julian. I went to college with Max's mom Kelly and when he was born there were complications shortly after birth. The blog started, pray warriors rallied, and many months later Kelly & John a beautiful boy Max in their arms at home. Then I learned about another blog for Baby Ethan Powell. Ethan has been struggling with Lukemia over at least the past year, but his blog has also connected many people through prayer and he continues to surprise the doctors although he is still in the fight.

Since then I started our family blog I have reconnected with many old friends from Harding, several I just found again this week. Blogs for prayer keep popping up. Suzanne, (also a Harding Alumni) had quads recently and that became a blog I visited frequently, and more recently Brent Adams (another Harding Alumni). But for the most part, I became a visitor on these blogs instead of blogging about them.

Tonight after I put my healthy boys to bed after a very long day, I picked up the local paper and read shocking news as my eyes filled up with tears. Tyler Alfriend, a 15 yr. old is fighting for his life after being diagnosed with stage 4 Burkitts Lymphoma There was a 1/2 page ad announcing a fundraiser at the Rec Center. It included his blog address and his picture.

Who is Tyler? Well, I had his brother Erik in my first grade class my first year teaching here in Dublin. The Alfriends were also new to the school system that year. Kathy, the boys' mom, was a great help. I had those first year jitters anyway around parents, wondering if they wished they had a more "experienced" teacher. The Alfriends were those parents that every teacher hopes to fill their room with. From the minute I met Kathy I was at ease. They have great kids, they support the school, trust the teacher, and you can just tell seeing them all interact, that they are a loving christian family. Kathy volunteered a lot in our room and even helped throw a wedding shower from the class for Tad & I. Erik is the youngest boy (among 4) so I never had anymore Alfriend children in my class, but I continued to talk with Kathy the following years. I lost touch with many families 2 yrs. ago when I quit teaching - theirs being one of them.

I just finished reading their blog and catching up on the past 60 days of struggle. My heart is so heavy. Today I thought I had a challenging day. Tad is working long hours (until March) because of this upcoming trial and comes in the door at 9:00. It all changes your perspective. Tad doesn't like working these long days and they are no picnic for me, but we will get through them no matter how long they last b/c we can and b/c there are people with real CHALLENGES and fights to fight. I will look at tomorrow much differently.

Please pray for Tyler & his family. If you can, please check out their blog too. I am linking it on the side here. They have many fund raisers planned from what I've read so far. I know this will be financially stressful as it is for many other families. Most importantly spread this among your prayer warriors and feel free to add yourself to their buddy mapping. I know they would appreciate seeing their map fill up with red dots like Ethan Powell's.

Thanks for reading. I know it wasn't a typical post for me.
Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great family Michelle! We will pray for them. It always makes me aware that I should not be complaining about my silly problems. I will call you soon. I am so anxious to see you!!!